Followers

Monday 17 October 2011

Forgotten Friday 35 - Hats and Handbags

Well I'm back from my Holiday in Florida, we had a really great time, although it was rather wet for some of the time we were there. We had 7 1/2 inches/19 cms of rain in 36 hours the middle weekend, needless to say we did not do much for those 2 days that it rained. We were lucky though there were other areas not to far away from where we were staying that had 11 inches/28 cms in the same time period. Still we saw lots of sun as well and it does dry very quickly there. We stayed in a beautiful villa, on a small residential estate, and slept in the biggest bed I have ever seen (my husband is 6ft and could lay on the bed sideways and not touch the edges). Still it was back to reality yesterday, unloading cases and sorting the washing etc.

I did make some crafty purchases while away (hubby allowed me a small corner of the case on the way home). As well as Halloween at the end of the month, which the Americans start decorating for at the beginning if October, it was also Columbus day on the 10th, the 2 big Craft shops Michael's and Joannes had sales the week before leading up to the day it's self. I managed to get 6 cricut cartridges (3 from one shop and 3 from the other)the dearest 2 were $39.99 about £25.50 in British money 3 were $34.99/£22.25 and one was only $19.99/£12.70, I also bought replacement blades again cheaper than here. I needed new cutting plates from my Cuttlebug so picked some of these up from what I thought was $7.99 only to find out as I went through the checkout that they were on sale also and only cost me $4.35/£2.75 (I went back and got another set while I was there). My final bargain was the Tim Holtz weathered clock die, a very kind lady in front of my gave me a 50% off coupon that had to be used that day on any item of regular price. As the Tim Holtz products were not in the sale I went and found the clock die, this should have been $19.99 (my first thought at seeing this price was that I would probably get it in the UK for about the same price once I had converted the money) with the coupon this took the price down to $9.98/£6.35. I bought a couple of other things as well but these weren't in the sale.

Anyway back to forgotten friday I will admit to making this card before I went away so that I would have something ready to post when I got home. I made this while we were having the heatwave before I went, so it was inspired by sunny days where a hat could well have been needed. The stamps are from Chocolate Baroque which I've had for a long time and they have been very neglected, which is a shame as the are beautiful stamps to use and to colour. The images were stamped with Memento black ink and coloured with aqua pencils in shades of lilacs and pinks. I then cut the main image out with a spellbinders oval and made a frame using a scalloped edge oval and a plain one in the middle. The backing paper is from the Filigree Fusion CD also from Chocolate Baroque, I mounted this onto the same gold card that I used to make the frame with. I added a pale pink ribbon around the middle of the card and added the handbag from the same stamp sheet as the lady, and the umbrella from a matching stamp sheet, these had been cut out and added as embellishments.

If your wondering what Forgotten Friday is, or would like to join in, pop over to  Judith's blog and find out what it's all about.

Thank you for taking the time to look, your kind comments are always appreciated.

Sue


3 comments:

judith@poppy cottage said...

Well Sue, apart from the rain, it sounds like you had a fabulous time! The crafty shopping sounds amazingingly cheap! How nice of the lady in the queue to give you her discount coupon, aren't crafters generous?
Your card is lovely, I have those stamps, and I have neglected them very badly. You have given them a super treatment here. Your colouring of the accessories is really pretty. Thanks for joining in Forgotten Friday again this week. You have all week to post, so don't worry about getting your post done at the start of the week, hugs Judith xx

Aquarius said...

Welcome back and it sounds as if you had a great time buying bargain crafty things. This is such a pretty card and I like the double frame effect which just sets off the elegant lady and her accessories.

Carol said...

Welcome back Sue. I Have missed my vists here. Glad you had a great time.
I have this stamp - it has always been one of my favourites and I love what you have done with it.
Hugs
Carol
xx